Heartwarmingly haunting adventures ahead! We’ve partnered with Cartoon Network to enable artists to create and sell Over The Garden Wall (OTGW) fan art on Redbubble. Similar to the chronicles of Wirt and Greg, making fan art for OTGW is a journey into the unknown. Ain’t that just the way.
Recap: What is the Redbubble Partner Program?
Redbubble’s Partner Program is an ongoing program to allow fan artists to create new, officially licensed works and post them safely on Redbubble, without fear of future takedowns. If you’re unfamiliar with the Partner Program, read these links first:
Over the Garden Wall Guidelines
To give your work the best chance of being licensed, take some time to read the brand guidelines. There are a few things to avoid and some details to keep in mind. We’ve highlighted some key guidelines below but make sure you’ve checked all the details before you start creating. Keep these things in mind and you will travel in the right direction, even if you trip on your own candy trail.
- Feel free to reference icons and elements from the show, not just the characters.
- Be sure to leave the logo as-is if you’re incorporating it into your design. Altered logos will unfortunately not be approved. Download the official logo here.
- Add ™ to the show name if you’re including it in your design.
- Focus on creating fan art designs that are more visual. Designs with words, phrases, or quotes will take longer to review and may not be approved.
- Don’t use the following phrases in your fan art: Unknown, Into the Unknown.
Works by starfleetrambo, Faustice and Hadoland
How to Submit Your Work
Tagging your work with Over the Garden Wall and OvertheGardenWall will automatically add it to the review queue. You may see a notification that your work is temporarily suspended, pending review. We’ll let you know as soon as your work has been reviewed.
When you’re uploading your work, don’t forget to include Over the Garden Wall in the title for added SEO juice (to make it more discoverable). And make your titles as descriptive as possible. For example, “Over the Garden Wall – Greg Came to Burgle Your Turts ” or “Over the Garden Wall – Wooden Toys in the Tavern”.
When you’re tagging your work, don’t forget to add any other relevant tags, for example:
Characters: Wirt, Gregory, Beatrice, the Woodsman, the Frog, the Beast, Adelaide
Places: The Mill, Pottsfield, School House, Tavern, Quincy Endicott’s Mansion, The Riverboat, Adelaide’s House, Auntie Whispers’ House, Cloud City (Greg’s dream)
Objects: Rock, dark lantern, Adelaide’s scissors, bell, Greg’s teakettle, Wirt’s tape
Best practice for tagging on Redbubble is to aim for around 15 relevant keywords. Check out our post on The Art of Tagging for more tips.
Works by szynka2496, enderkichi and phanatyy
Design Inspiration and Resources
With Halloween and Dia De Los Muertos season approaching, it’s a great time to watch or revisit OTGW’s 10 short episodes. That’s a rock fact. The thematic backbone of the show is about navigating life and death, which can easily lead you into an existential rabbit hole, but it’s iced with youth and innocence.
You can tap into the comedy or the tragedy of the human condition while making OTGW fan art. Between the loveable characters, colorful settings, and thematic layers, there’s plenty of creative fodder to keep your lamp lit. Here are a few articles to guide your path:
- ‘Over the Garden Wall’ is Amazing and You Probably Missed It | Entertainment Weekly
- Rock Facts, the Unknown, Literary Themes and How They All Fit Together | Medium
- Over the Garden Wall: slapstick for the kids, existential dread for the adults | The Guardian
- Over the Garden Wall: A Sweet, Strange Journey into The Unknown | TOR
- Here’s a dark, funny, and beautiful show you should watch this weekend | Vox
Are you an Over the Garden Wall fan? Is there an episode that left you thinking about it for days? How has the series inspired your creativity or outlook on life? Let us know in the comments below. And we’ll be adding more exciting brands to our Partner Program soon. Keep an eye on our Current Partnerships page for the latest.