We’re super excited to team with Australia’s State Library Victoria, one of the busiest libraries in the world, to create independent art history. We’re calling on artists to create designs inspired by classic works from the Library’s immense collections. Remix. Reuse. Do your own thing. You could win sweet prizes.
With more than two million annual visitors and five million collection items, State Library Victoria is one of the world’s leading cultural institutions opening up its incredible collection of historic images to inspire new designs.
- + Cash (1st – $2500 AUD, 2nd – $1000 AUD, 3rd – $500 AUD)
- + Have your design displayed at State Library Victoria
- + Get your design permanently added to the Library’s collection
- + Sell your products at the Library in Readings bookshop
How it works
1. Choose a theme. Click to download the inspiration pack for each theme, containing images from State Library Victoria’s collection.
2. Create a new original design inspired by your theme.
Example inspired by the Magic theme
Example inspired by the Weird and Wonderful Creatures theme
Example inspired by the Botanicals theme
3. Share on Instagram with #CreateArtHistory and upload to your Redbubble account
(don’t have an account? Sign up here). Don’t forget to tag @redbubble and @library_vic, too.
Once you choose from any theme, you can reuse, remix, or manipulate the Library’s images any way you see fit. Make them your own. Try something new. Push yourself. But take your time. Think about it. These things could be preserved in Australia’s oldest public Library for all eternity. No pressure.
The Judging Panel
Kate Torney is the CEO of State Library Victoria, one of Victoria’s oldest cultural institutions and Australia’s busiest state library with over 2 million visitors each year and more than 4 million visits online. Kate is the Deputy Chair of National and State Libraries Australasia (NSLA) and Co-Chair of GLAM Peak which leads collaboration between galleries, libraries, archives and museums sectors in Australia to enable people to access, use and build on our national collections. Kate is a former Director of News at the Australian Broadcasting Corporation.
Martin Hosking, co-founder and CEO of Redbubble, has spent 20 years scaling technology companies out of Australia. He has had key leadership roles in Looksmart, the first Australian company to list on Nasdaq and Aconex, a standout ASX listing of the last few years. He started his career with DFAT and McKinsey.
Mark Rubbo is Managing Director of Readings, one of Australia’s leading independent bookshops. He is a past president of the Australian Booksellers Association and was founding chair of the Melbourne Writers Festival. In 2006 he was awarded a Medal of the Order of Australia for service to the community through fostering an awareness of Australian literature as a bookseller, literary critic, and promoter and supporter of Australian writers.
Toby Benador is Founder and Director at Just Another Agency, and has cemented herself in Melbourne’s vibrant creative arts community since her arrival in 2005. Since then she has become known within the creative community as someone fiercely dedicated to supporting, encouraging and providing opportunities for some of the industries best creative talent.
Nicholas Miller is a current Redbubble Artist in Residence and specializes in Polynesian and Zentangle pattern work. He is in the progress of creating video content aimed at promoting artists through YouTube’s platform. He has participated in multiple exhibitions, most recently in the Knox Council ‘Immerse’ Exhibition, where his collaboration artwork is displayed on the the billboard at the Knox Skatepark.
The Dome, at State Library Victoria
- You have until October 29th at 4.59pm PST (October 30th at 9.59am AEDT) to submit your designs. Don’t forget to note which theme(s) inspired your work.
- Make sure to upload your design to your Redbubble account to be fully entered in the challenge, and tag with #CreateArtHistory (no spaces).
- Supplied images for the contest can be directly manipulated and used in your final piece, although you can simply use them for inspiration if you like.
- Make sure your final design is at least 7000px/60cm/23.6inches tall and in CMYK color profile. This is so we can display the winning artworks at State Library Victoria large enough for the world to see.
- Redbubble/State Library Victoria reserves the right to request certain products are enabled for purchase on Redbubble.
- You can enter as many times as you like.
Check out the terms & conditions right here.
Magic, Weird & Wonderful Creatures, Botanicals.
More about State Library Victoria
State Library Victoria is located in the heart of Melbourne, Australia. With more annual visitors than the British Library and the Library of Congress in Washington, it is one of the busiest libraries in the world.
Collecting history since it first opened its doors in 1856: today the Library holds more than five million collection items, including books, prints and photographs, manuscripts, maps and artefacts.
Australia’s oldest public library also digitises its collections to make them easier to access no matter where you are in the world. From slides and negatives to posters and sheet music, they have made more than two million files freely available to search, view and download in high resolution.